Pentwater Women's Club History
Excerpt from a recap by Past President C.D. Poole, 1935-1937 and various newspaper articles, meeting minutes, history recaps, etc.
The Pentwater Literacy Club was founded on January 27, 1898, during a blizzard and continues today to enrich the community of Pentwater. After becoming a member of the State Federation of Women's Clubs in 1899, a member of the General Women's Clubs Federation in 1904 and in 1908 a member of the County Federation the club has maintained an important place in the community's welfare. In the early 1970's the club name was changed to the Pentwater Women's Club to enlarge the area of involvement the club and it's members could contribute to.
Over the past 117 years the Pentwater Women's Club has supported and contributed to: hot lunches and milk for school children, planting trees, scholarships for graduating students, books for the Library, various community projects, West Shore Community College scholarships, honoring war veterans, the purchase of home economic equipment for the high school, playground equipment and much more.
The Pentwater Women's Club is proud of its association with the Village and will continue to provide ongoing support for the local area.
The colors of pink and green, adopted at the time of its formation, were those of the carnation, chosen as the club flower.
In 1904, Mary Stewart of Colorado wrote "A Collect for Clubwomen" and this was adopted by the club members to express the heartfelt sentiments of its members.
2018 Quilt by: Kristen Forester, Judy Jankowski, Susan Hacker, and Malinda Hundt
Memories from 2016